(See end of posting for summer intensives and international internships for youth & young adults. Fast-approaching deadlines [March 15, April, etc] for registration and applications or scholarships for some of these opportunities.)
THURSDAYS, Mar 15 & Mar 22
- Soup & Ski with Family & Friends
5pm • Parish Hall of Jackson Community Church. Gather with members and friends for soup supper.
5:30/6pm • Meet at church parking lot for evening XC ski. Optimal starting point to be determined. For those who able and interested, if weather permits, come on a ‘night ski’ on Jackson XC Center’s trails. Donations will be collected for Jackson Ski Touring Foundation. Bring your own head lamps, ski equipment, layers, and be prepared for outdoor conditions. Ski at your own risk. Bring friends! Open to everyone. All ages welcome.
FRI, MAR 23
- Film Screening of “404 Not Found” & Soup Supper: Bowls for Homeless Teens in Mt Washington Valley
5-7pm • Gibson Senior Center, North Conway. In collaboration with Clergy of the Eastern Slope and First Church of North Conway’s Missions Team, screening the film “404 Not Found” that highlights the homeless youth in NH. Check out the film trailer @ 404notfoundfilm.com. Held in collaboration with Governor Sununu’s “Sleep Out”. This is a valley issue and will take a valley solution.
“Sleep Out” (Stay-Up-Late or Sleep Over at Church)
8pm, Mar 23 – 9am, Mar 24 • Jackson Community Church
For youth & chaperones. Stay late at church. Or spend the night. To be held in solidarity with Gov Sununu’s “Sleep Out” event to raise awareness about homelessness. We will stay up late at Jackson Community Church with games and worship, learn about homelessness in the valley, make civic engagement posters. If some people stay overnight, we will wake up to have breakfast together. RSVP and permission slips required.
WED, APR 4: MLK Remembrance Bell Ringing
- 6pm. • Front door of sanctuary, Jackson Community Church.
Help ring the bell 39 times in memory of Martin Luther King Jr. This is a national vigil; learn more at www.MLK50Forward.org.
SAT, APR 7: New England Youth Environmental Justice Summit
SUN, APR 8: Road to Emmaus Hike
- 9am • “Road to Emmaus” Walk. Meet at church for family hike if weather permits. Indoor activities available if weather turns
Note: Additional spring youth & family schedule to be announced. Expect outdoor youth & family activities every Sunday at 9am, beginning April 22.
FRI, APR 20-MON, APR 23: Ecumenical Advocacy Days
1pm, Fri – 5pm, Mon • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington, D.C.-Crystal City, 300 Army Navy Drive, Arlington, VA.
A WORLD UPROOTED: Responding to Migrants, Refugees and Displaced Peoples. A weekend of faith-rooted worship, learning and advocacy in our Nation’s capital – will focus on the uprootedness of our world. We will analyze current policy and envision ways to more fully and justly respond to the global and local needs of displaced communities. Together we will seek policy changes that advance hope and overcome the devastating impacts of conflict, climate change and corruption on God’s people. Ends with congressional advocacy day.
- REGISTER – Early-bird registration rates available through March 17th. Register now.
- SCHOLARSHIPS – Justice and Witness Ministries has designated funding for UCC young adults (ages 18-35) to attend Ecumenical Advocacy Days (EAD) in 2018. Learn more and apply by March 23rd.
- Travel costs and hotel accommodations are separate expenses.
- Additional scholarships, such as Bushee-Thorne Scholarship, can be applied to this conference!
FRI, MAY 19 – SAT, MAY 20: Middle School Retreat
3pm, Fri – 6pm, Sat • Ipswich, MA
Spend weekend on retreat with Ipswich Middle School youth group. Stay overnight in sleeping bags at the church on Friday and return to Jackson on Saturday evening. RSVP to church
by April 15, 2018 if interested.
YOUTH & YOUNG ADULT INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
through the UCC
A tuition-free program of the Cooperative Metropolitan Ministries, the IFYI Fellowship is an all-expense paid interfaith immersion experience for young leaders (ages 15-19) providing an opportunity to meaningfully engage together with important global and local issues through the lens of their different religious, ethnic, cultural, economic, social and political backgrounds.
This Internship Programme stretches over an 18-month period, for four young people aged 21-29. Each intern is assigned to work for 12 months at the WCC offices in Geneva, Switzerland, in one of our many programme areas. This is then to be followed by a six-month work placement in the intern’s own country.
Flexi-Week.: Come for the day or for a period of days.
- Rev Gail & Chris Doktor will be deans of family camp.
- Our youth can come for one day or an overnight!
- Registration available here:
- Scholarships such as Bushee-Thorne (for which applications already being considered as of April) can be applied to this camp.
- Additional camp weeks are also available with focus on different skills such as archery, rock clibing, etc. Full schedule available here.
EASTERN REGIONAL YOUTH EVENT
July 19-22, 2018
California University of PA, California, Pennsylvania
(grades 7 through 12 )
- Join us as we worship, play, pray, learn, serve, sing and dream at the 2018 Eastern Regional Youth Event.
- Stay up-to-date on event details through the event website or contact Ann Desrochers.
- Scholarships from Bushee-Thorne (applications already being considered as of April) can be applied to this experience.
Sampling of the workshops that will be offered at ERYE. Each participant will be able to attend 3 workshops. (Workshop list subject to change.)
- Authentic Faith: The Wisdom of Not Knowing All the Answers
- Becoming a Transgender AllyBuilding a Team – Playing a Game
- Disabled God, Queer God: Understanding the Divine Through Identity
- Disabled in Church: Struggles and Triumphs
- Earth Avengers: Superheroes for the Planet
- From Barbie to Wonder Woman!
- How An Orphan In Mexico Inspired Thousands – And How He Can Inspire You.
- How Can I Help My Community Prepare For And Respond To A Disaster?
- Identity Bowling: Intersectionality through Music
- Our Gender & Sexuality: Confusions and Questions and Wonder
- Praying with Color, Clay, Beads and Ribbons
- Praying with the Body
- Sacred DanceStorytelling for Social Change
- The Conflict Skills That Nobody Got (but everybody needs)This Is Really Happening
- Tie-Dyed Faith: Revealing Your God-Colors
- Walking the Labyrinth to Rejuvenate Your Spirit
- Watershed Management