Acts of Kindness & Giving for Lent
(guides and calendars sourced from several organizations)
Reflections and Meditations
- Coloring the Psalms Devotional Guide and Coloring Pages.
*Already printed and available* at front of church, which is always open. Or accessible as downloadable multi-page PDF files from Jackson Community Church’s website. Due to licensing, the link will be sent by email to all church friends and members … if you want to participate, and didn’t receive this email already, sign up on this site to receive our email and we will forward the links to download the PDF files. Or email us directly for the link.
- UCC (United Church of Christ)’s Still Speaking Daily Devotional messages. Sign up to receive these.
- UCC (United Church of Christ)’s Still Speaking Podcast. Sign up for podcast
- Mindfulness Applications for computers and mobile devices from Thich Nhat Hahn’s Plum Village (in the engaged Buddhist tradition)
- Jan Richardson’s Painted Prayerbook blog entries
- Maren Tirabassi’s Gifts in Open Hands blog with daily Lenten posts
- Daily Meditations by Fr Richard Rohr, sign up to receive these
- Living Lent Daily: Ignatian Spirituality daily meditations for Lent . Sign up to receive daily email meditations and devotional activities.
- Social Justice Lectionary: Downloadable guide to readings and activities surrounding social justice issues. Extension of MLK Day initiatives.
UPCOMING ACTIVITIES & EVENTS
FRI, FEB 2
- YOUTH DINNER & GAMES
6pm • Parish Hall, Jackson Community Church
Ipswich, MA Middle School youth group will hold a weekend retreat at the church. Our youth and families are welcome to come for a community meal and games on Friday.
SAT, FEB 3
- IPSWICH YOUTH OUTING
8am – Noon • Jackson XC Center
12:30-2pm • Parish Hall, JCC
- IPSWICH YOUTH OUTING
2-5 • Black Mountain. Ipswich Middle Our youth are welcome to get outside with the Ipswich youth. who will be downhill skiing in the afternoon.
- DINNER & GAMES & PRAYERS
6:30pm • Parish Hall, JCC
Ipswich Middle School youth group makes dinner and holds worship. Our youth and families are welcome to come for meal, games, and worship on Saturday evening.
SUN, FEB 4
- SUPERBOWL BRUNCH CHURCH
10:30am • Jackson Community Church
Bring a potluck breakfast/brunch/lunch item to share. We will start in the sanctuary, but spend most of our time in Parish Hall around tables for a community-style meal that also serves as our communion. Conversations at table focused on scriptures about athleticism, competition, victory and defeat, strength and resilience. Fun and family-friendly! Great way to kick off Superbowl Sunday!
MON, FEB 5
- MANDALA MONDAY
7pm • Church Library, Second Floor
Exploring expressive arts as a spiritual practice through contemplative coloring, drawing from different wisdom traditions. Church provides patterns and colored pencils. Older children, youth and families welcome.
TUE, FEB 6
- MARDI GRAS
6-8pm • Parish Hall
Food and music by KHS jazz ensemble and Miss Maybelle & Slimpickins. Take a selfie with our beads and costumes, or come decked out and ready to dance (and socialize). Family-friendly. Donations gratefully accepted.
SAT, FEB 10
- TRILLIUM SUMMIT
8:30am-5pm • Whitney Center
Trillium Summit, a one-day conference for girls and women. Admission is free and any money raised from donations will be given to Starting Point: Services for Victims of Domestic and Sexual Violence. The idea behind this is to bring together girls and women from the Valley for a day of crafts, snacks, games, speakers, networking and fun. We have an awesome roster of local leaders who are very excited to share their wisdom. Topics covered will include:
- Why You? Why Now? The Importance of Getting to Know Yourself
- How to Find and Fulfill Your Wishes
- There is No One Path to Success (adult panel discussion)
- Putting Your Best Foot Forward/Creating Your Own Brand
- Choose Your Own Adventure (on Boundaries and Being an Upstander)
- We’re More Alike Than You’d Think – A Basket of Questions (youth panel discussion)
- Tried and True Tips for Taking this to Tomorrow
HOPE on the SLOPES
Sunday, Feb 11 @ Mt Cranmore
41st Anniversary of the Race to Beat Cancer (Hope on the Slopes)
To benefit the American Cancer Society. It’s time of year to start thinking about Hope On The Slopes – The American Cancer Society’s Race to Beat Cancer! You can get involved in many ways. Our church sponsors this team, including sponsorships for our athletes and providing volunteers.
- You can participate as a skier or snowboarder. If you participate to race, the Mission Committee will sponsor you $25 towards your fundraising efforts. For more information go to http://relay.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=85419
- You can serve as a volunteer for the event.
PREPARED to SERVE
Sat, Feb 24 • 8am-4pm
Youth invited to attend!
Workshops on environmental and social justice issues, as well as program development for youth and families. Rev Gail will be traveling to this conference and can provide same-day ride for 1-2 people. Jackson Community Church will cover cost of registration.